Actualizing the very well-known axiom, ‘prevention is better than cure’, under its ongoing ‘Comprehensive Eye Care Project (CECP)’ project in collaboration with Dr. R . P. Centre of ophthalmic Sciences, AIIMS, Aarogya the health initiative of DJJS, has been regularly organizing an awareness session on what role does prevention play in impeding the no. of people landing into the category of stone blindness. As per the studies and researches conducted by WHO, it is estimated that 285 million people are visually impaired globally, of which 15 million reside in India alone, who are constantly struggling even to achieve the basic amenities of life. With the inadequate health services and treatment facilities, the situation is worsening day by day. However, according to experts, 80% of the blindness is curable, if correct measures and healthy way of life is followed. So alongside treating the patients, sensitizing and empowering them with the basic and very significant information about eye care has always been at the forefront of priority.
In reference to the same, during the month of August, at Primary Eye Care OPD, Divya Dham Ashram almost 200 people under the title – FACTS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT EYE HEALTH, were given preventive education on the subject matter, of which some are given below:
- Significance of vision in one’s life.
- Import of regular eye check ups
- Significance of cleanliness of eyes regularly
- Having right and nutritious food helps in preventing early blindness.
- Do’s and don’ts of having a healthy eye sight
- Importance of spectacles and sunglasses for eye care
- Basic eye - exercises to strengthen the eye muscles