The dictionary meaning of ergonomics is "the branch of engineering science in which biological science is used to study the relation between workers and their environment". Let's ponder upon some of the key aspects in this regard:
Stress Immobility Syndrome
The terminology relates to the 21st century pay back for digitisation revolution. Today's genre digital devices like mobile phones, laptops, and tablets are developed for our comfort and usability purposes. However, when overly used for extensive durations, they may lead to poor postures causing undue physical ailments like-
● Strain in back and neck: Statistical analysis depicts the degree of impact on our necks and backs, considering the fact that every individual spends 2 to 4 hours with his head bent down while texting, reading, and typing on smartphone devices and tablets. In this position, our shoulders are hunched, amounting to 700 to 1400 hours of extra stress per year on the cervical spine.
● Wrist and fingers related issues: While we constantly text and swipe our phone, it strains our wrist and fingers.
● Strain in eyes: The eyes become fatigued by constantly staring on the screens of these devices. The following examples depict as to how dangerous can be the consequences, if we use this gadgets in an improper manner.
Smart Phone Blindness
According to a study published in the National Academic of Sciences, the blue glow of gadget screens can reduce the production of melatonin, a hormone that helps induce sleep, delay and reduce the amount of REM sleep; hence prevents one from getting restful sleep. As a result, the usage of phone/tablets in the dark may cause blindness!
One such example is that of a Chinese man who underwent an emergency surgical operation on his eyes after spending many hours texting in the dark.
● This 26-years-old man was diagnosed with a rare condition wherein the retina detached from the back of his eye.
● Retinal detachment condition arose after using messaging app, Wechat, regularly for long hours for several days and night.
● The retina is light sensitive and transmits messages to the brain via optic nerves. The man complained of abrupt flashes in his line of sight- a symptom indicating retina's detachment.
● This condition takes place when the thin lining at the back of the eye- the retina retreats from the blood vessels that supply it with oxygen and nutrients.
● If not treated readily, it may lead to permanent blindness.
● Scientists claim cases to be rising in the younger generation....
With several more adding to the list, it, therefore, becomes essential to take precautions with respect to our postures and environment, while using these devices.
To know this and furthermore, read the complete article in the April'17 edition of English Akhand Gyan Monthly Magazine.